On a MacBook Pro (1) in the Keyboard and Mouse control panel, check "use two fingers to scroll." Also check zoom while holding (choose the key of your choice). I use the control key. Then when I hold the control key while using the two finger scroll, the screen will zoom in and out depending whether my two fingers are moving up or down.

I find this particularly helpful on pages with small font size.

Frank