I don't know if anyone is still here and if so, having trouble with the last
minute transition to Google Groups, but I figured out why I (and others) were
probably having problems associating various email addresses to the new group.

There are two different places you can associate email addresses with your
Google accounts and they don't connect:

1) in your GMAIL account settings, you can associate additional email addresses
to your GMAIL account so that you can have messages appear to be sent from
different accounts; and

2) in your GOOGLE account settings, you can associate additional email
addresses to your GOOGLE account so that various Google-things see them
(groups, calendar, etc.).

Doing #1, which I and others did, doesn't make your additional email addresses
available for Google Groups. You need to do #2 (which the instructions below
are for -- I just thought I could ignore them, since I had already done #1..).
Both processes involve adding your addresses and then dealing with verification
emails, so they're very similar -- but not the same!

Chris

Derek Belrose speculated on 5/29/08 that: