On Sep 18, 2008, at 1:47 PM, Dennis wrote:

> The same goes for accessing the file with
> Interarchy via SFTP. Interarchy makes a temporary local version of the
> file when you edit it, but always uses the same path so BBEdit can
> find the file's state info.

I guess I should have tested this again before writing. It turns out
Interarchy 9.0.1 (5484) *does not* preserve document state after all.
I could have sworn previous versions did. Either my memory is failing
or this behavior changed in a recent version. I've been using rsync
recently for other reasons.

So your only options for preserving state on remote documents seem to
be one of the following:

(1) Mount the server (Samba, WebDAV, MacFUSE, etc.) so that it appears
in /Volumes on your local system.

(2) Sync the files to a directory on your local machine using rsync or
an SFTP app that does syncing (e.g. Interarchy or Transmit).

(3) Set BBEdit's hidden default to store state information in the
document's resource fork. There may be additional complications if
your server has a non-HFS+ filesystem.

Sorry for the confusion.

-Dennis