On Oct 9, 2008, at 11:13 AM, Carlton Gibson wrote:

> 2008/10/9 Derek Belrose <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>
>> On Oct 9, 2008, at 11:04 AM, Carlton Gibson wrote:
>>>
>>> Sorry, history of computer science lesson here but, what was LISP
>>> then? -- All in the name of things to do with BBEdit of course.
>>
>> The reason we have emacs :)
>
> No, that's too clever for me... I just don't have the background. I'm
> going to have to ask you to explain.
>
> Carlton
> Who started with Dreamweaver and is working backwards.

EMACS (http://www.gnu.org/emacs) is a giant environment originally
meant as a text editor.  It was written in LISP, all configuration in
LISP, all extensions written in LISP.  It's still an editor, but now
it's considered an OS providing you access to email, IRC, IM, games,
databases, et al...

The thing is a giant LISP interpreter.

But back to the topic, Smalltalk is considered the first fully
implemented, purely object oriented programming language.  There were
others, Simula was one of the first to introduce concepts later used
in object oriented languages such as Smalltalk, python, java, etc.
Simula influenced the object orientation found in later versions of
lisp, known as object-lisp.

The concept of perl, I find perl object orientation hacky, a second
thought add on to appease people.  Perl's strength, it's flexibility
is often what I hate most about it.  Sure you can write this code in
all kinds of fun obfuscated, hard to read, l33t ways, good for you.  I
won't touch it and it will be replaced.  I know plenty of perl people
who can't write clean code, they only know perl and can't grasp other
languages because they've spent too much time exploiting all the
flexibility in perl.  That's their weakness, not of the language.  The
lack of coherency in perl is a major flaw, in my opinion.

-D