I am sure this is bone simple, but apparently I am missing
something..  I used to use something that worked here  (but the last
time I used it was several versions/years ago so I don't remember what
it was).  I did RTFineM for this version 9, but I keep ending up
reading about other things without getting my question answered, it
tells me to do just what I am trying:

Now I have a selection, like this string:
"remove"
(including the quote marks).
I use the command
Markup > Utilities > Translate...
which is set to
-text to HTML
-HTML entitites
-Name
-Selection Only

and when I hit the 'translate' button, then *nothing* happens.
I want it to replace my selection with
"remove"

What am I missing here?

Other time-saving tips in this area also welcome/appreciated (esp.
keystrokes).
Thanks!
-Govinda