On Jan 13, 2009, at 3:33 PM, Scott Haneda wrote:

> Hello, in moving to version 9.1, I have turned on line numbers. The
> new line numbers are now anti-aliased, which IMO, sucks.

This is one of those things that defies explanation. One person can
absolutely despise a particular detail and another person can love it.
And there's no reconciling those differences. There's no persuading
one or other to change their opinion because it's a deeply personal
matter of taste.

Personally, I *love* the new anti-aliased line numbers. It's something
I've been waiting for a very long time in BBEdit. I think they're
easier to see, they improve the aesthetics of the app, make it look
more polished and professional, and they make BBEdit feel more modern
and "in step" with the rest of the Mac platform.

As for higher screen resolutions making anti-aliasing worse, I
respectfully disagree. My previous hi-res 17-inch MBP (133 dpi) looked
beautiful with anti-aliased text. And there's been nothing but praise
for text on the iPhone (160 dpi), which uses anti-aliased fonts
exclusively.

Having said that, I can sympathize with Scott as I was on the other
side of the fence for many, many years. I'm not aware of a preference
setting (GUI or hidden default) to control this behavior. About all I
can say is try to get used to it. That's what I did when the line
numbers weren't anti-aliased. :-)

-Dennis