> Deprecated by whom? Not HTML 4 or 5.

IMO, it's been deprecated by those who *blindly* trumpet "semantics".
Whilst I *heartily* agree with writing what you mean (emphasizing text
with <em>, etc.), I've seen it go much too far, with people attempting
to replicate tables in DIVs and CSS because, well, that's the hip and
"semantic" way of doing things in Web 2.0.

I follow the previous commenter's distinction
on I vs. EM (and B vs. STRONG) as well.

--
Morbus Iff ( my name is legion, for we are many... )
Enjoy: http://www.disobey.com/ and http://www.videounderbelly.com/