At 5:17 PM -0400 7/16/09, Patrick Woolsey sent email regarding Re:
sftp as root:
>you wrote:
>[...]
>>After I click the connect button, BBEdit says: Opening sftp
>>connection and puts up an additional password dialog. Entering the
>>password does not log me in.
>>

>What app version are you running?

version 9.2.1 (2532) of Fri, 19 Jun 2009

Trying to sftp to my server as root using passwordless public key
authentication.

Previously, I used sftp with passwords, until I set up ssh using
keys, no passwords.

Now that I should be able to connect with no password, BBE won't let
me delete the passwords from the ftp settings. I click to "Change"
the ftp settings, remove the password and tell it to Save. When next
I open that setting, the password is back.

I tried completely deleting the connection setting and recreating it
with no password. When I selected the re-created setting to "Change"
it had a password. I think it's looking in Keychain and fetching the
password for that user/host and inserting that password.

So I deleted that password from keychain. Now each time I select that
ftp bookmark, BBE pops up a separate dialog asking: "Password for
r...@[hostname]" with Cancel and (disabled) OK button. Apparently, if
I hit Cancel, it won't even bother to try connecting.

I do not have this problem with a non-root account that also uses
public key authentication. root seems to behave differently or be a
special case.

Yes, I can ssh as root to the host in question using Terminal.

Secure.log on the host has no logged attempts from my IP address so I
have to think that, sans a password, BBE doesn't even attempt to
connect as root.

System.log, however, says:

Jul 19 17:11:38 smtp DirectoryService[65]: Failed Authentication
return is being delayed due to over five recent auth failures for
username: root.
Jul 19 17:11:38 smtp sshd[14379]: error: PAM: Authentication failure
for root from [my.public.hostname]
Jul 19 17:11:38 smtp sshd[14379]: error: PAM: Authentication failure
for root from [my.public.hostname]
Jul 19 17:11:38 smtp sshd[14379]: error: PAM: Authentication failure
for root from [my.public.hostname]

Who is this "Pam" and why is she preventing me from logging in?  ;-)