On Oct 28, 2009, at 7:43 AM, William Reveal wrote:

> Just want to applaud Bill for this explanation. It may well help
> Michael in his journey to grok grep.
>
> Bill

Yes, I meant to chime in and thank him for the tutorial and I will
refer to it before I whine for help again.

But I did receive a direct reply from Kerri the night I posted and his
suggestion/code

> If your data set is really as simple as this, and there are no other
> pointy brackets in your data, just turn grep on and in the search box,
> do
>
> <(.*?)>
>
> and replace with nothing.
>
> (This assumes that there are no line breaks within the HTML code...)

worked perfectly.

Some of the other suggested more elaborate code did not.

So I am very thankful for the help offered by all.

But I must say I really do think that this is a major hole in the
BBEdit feature set. I have upgraded over the years primarily on
principle (because I use BBEdit a lot) but other than the
Textfactories I do not see very many added functions that I am making
use of from about the 8.0 version onwards (I use maybe 7-10 of the
menu commands).

A Grep builder should be a feature in the next release since that is
probably the function/capability that is most requested on this list.

That would be a new very useful capability and (if I was BB sales
manager) allow for pitching the product to people who are not coders
but (like me) just need to shovel a lot of text around on an ongoing
basis.

Anyway, thanks for all the help.

And if you ever get offered a data export from a company in Germany
allow 2-3 times the effort to clean out the chaff ;-).

M./