Mmm no, there must be something wrong, because with the previous
version of bbedit I didn't have any problem. Also, bottom left I've
got a menu that let me select simple utf-8. In don't want no-bom since
it's problematic with entities. The message I get when I try to save
an utf-8 doc is like this:

'this document contains data which describes its encoding as unicode
(untf-8 no bom), but the encoding has been set to unicode utf-8.
saving this document as-is will likely cause unexpected display of its
contents and.... [...] '