On 2010-01-22 at 5:06 PM, johndelac...@gmail.com (John Delacour) wrote:

In writing a Perl script I used a subroutine CHECK() and had to change it because it seems to be a reserved name -- it appears syntax-coloured blue unlike any of my other subroutines. I do not generally use the & prefix to run a subroutine, incidentally. That's probably very very bad, but doesn't seem to be at the root of my problem.

I can run this without an error:

#!/usr/local/bin/perl
use strict;
CHECK();

though goodness knows what it means, but

#!/usr/local/bin/perl
use strict;
&CHECK();

throws an error (Undefined subroutine).

Both are coloured.

Can someone tell me what I'm missing?

You're probably familiar with BEGIN { ... } blocks.

BEGIN, INIT, CHECK, and END are a words reserved in Perl to name built-in subroutines that execute at specific stages of your program's operation.

I'm guessing this gives you enough to explain what was happening, or to dig further in the right direction.

   - Bruce

_bruce__van_allen__santa_cruz_ca_