I know what you mean about uncluttered windows but different strokes for different folks and all that! :) Obviously an option to toggle on and off permanently would suit those that would prefer it (me!) and those that don't (Alex!) ;)

Talking of the UI - one of the things that has always kept me loyal to BBEdit is the sparse/minimalist design of the entire interface, with none of that Aquafied frippery and UI eye candy that many other Apple developers seem to go completely overboard on. Having Live Search as a permanent feature would - for me personally - add very little to the overall clean UI design of BBEdit.

~ John