On May 3, 2010, at 10:06 AM, Scout wrote:

> I just had to notify someone that differences exist in two files.
>
> Is there a way to generate a text report of these differences? I'd
> like to see each of the results shown in the Differences window,
> followed by the new and old content.
>
> I ended up sending a screenshot of just one of the 68 differences
> found.
>
> Advice anyone? Thanks!

This search/replace is saved as "CleanUp FIND ALL Results" in the Patterns :
Popup Menu

SEARCH :        ^([^:\r]+[ \t]*):\d{1,6}:[ \t]*
REPLACE :

Another handy search/replace that is saved as "CleanUp Trailing Spaces" :

SEARCH :        ([ \t]+$)
REPLACE :

Notice that replace is empty on both

Here's what I do after performing a Multi-File Search while the results window
is frontmost :

CMD-A
CMD-N
CMD-V

sometimes here I might do a "CleanUp Trailing Spaces", before I do a "CleanUp
FIND ALL Results"

CMD-F      using ^([^:\r]+[ \t]*):\d{1,6}:[ \t]*
Click on "Replace All"

depending on what I am doing, I might do a :

CNTRL-S     (I have this key combination set up to sort the selection)
CNTRL-D     (I have this key combination set up to remove duplicates)

Of course some things I don't want sorted, I want them in the result found
order.

I had at one point automated this with AppleScript, but I am so used to doing
this that I don't even use the script anymore.

Best Regards,

Bill Hernandez
Plano, Texas