At 11:09 -0700 9/9/10, Bruce Van Allen wrote:
>On 2010-09-09, m i l e s wrote:
>
>>I have data from a OUTLOOK export that's been corrupted.  It appears that
>>Outlook is putting extraneous data from the NOTES field into the TITLE field
>>of the export, which ends up column shifting the resulting records that
>>follow the first record.
>>
>>Look at the sample data below: its column shifted the following:
>>"  Low     Normal      Web Page
>>
>>Down to the next line, and anything in the notes field gets stuffed
>>into the Title field, where there should be nothing at all.
>>
>>How would I fix this with Grep ?????
>
>It's difficult to see the problem because email has broken your lines up.
>
>A few things to try, snipped by DPM

Another thing to try:

Select the lines you posted, or a more original source, and paste them into a
spreadsheet. Excel, for instance, recognizes the tabs and will place items in
columns across the page. BBEdit  offers no way to do that.

When I did that I found missing tabs with "135 Lexington Avenue" coming under
"Job  Title" instead of "Business Street".

It's as if someone was adjusting the tabs so that the format would look right
in his text-oriented display. Converting tabs to spaces could do that and
create a terrible mess.

Using Excel's "insert cells" command it's possible to line some things up with
what BBEdit would think are inserted tabs but you'd be guessing based on
content and that's hard to automate. With a lot more items you might see usable
patterns with the real column structure offered by a spreadsheet.

The Jack Hirsch item seems totally unrelated to the headings. It appears on a
row by itself. The other items have nothing in the Title, column 1.

With all of those columns, mostly blank, you have a pretty good example of what
xml files are for.

--
--> Give me liberty or give me Obamacare <--