At 12:01 -0800 07/11/2010, Linda wrote:

Sorry, that is what I thought that I said.  I want to use ® and
not the "r" with a circle around it and not the other way around. It
is BBEdit that changes it to the "r" with a circle around it.

Why do you want to use these entities like ® at all? They are as obsolete as the legacy character sets they were designed to circumvent and cause problems all over the web, especially for sites in languages other than English.

Dump the daft charsets and dump the useless entities and create your documents using only UTF-8. All these things should have been outlawed ten years ago and we still have people nattering on about iso-8859-1, when almost always they actually mean windows-1252 etc. etc. Unicode is designed to do away with this Tower of Babel. Use it.

JD