My Shortcut Scheme:

1. Use as few as possible.  Instead:

2. With iKey or other utility assign single letter control-key combos
to open menus by their name:  "ctrl-x" where x is "a" for "Apple", "f"
for "file", "t" for "text",and so on.  I assign "c" tothe clipping
menu and "2" to the scripts menu.

3. Once a menu is opened, type the first letters of an item to go to
that item.  So, for example, to zap gremlins, I key CTRLl + t + z
+enter.

4. If  there are multiple entries that start with the same letter,  go
to a nearby entry and use an arrow key to move to the one I want.

This scheme will be familiar if you use Windows, where it is built-in
(or used to be): each menu entry has an underlined letter, no
necessarily the first; once the menu is open, typing that letter will
go to the entry.