At 10:38 -0500 28/07/2011, David Kelly wrote:

Can we use BBEdit to compose email in Mail.app?  :-)

Of course you can, provided you are prepared to suffer using Mail.app at all and tolerate its very stupid scripting dictionary. You can also do it using less awful mail clients.

I use mutt for much of my email in no small part because I can also use
vim for composition.

Composed in vim, sent with mutt, via ssh and Postfix, using
Terminal.app.

What a palaver! You could do all that directly from BBEdit or use Mailsmith, which is just as scriptable as BBEdit, or use BBEdit and Eudora, but why you would want to complicate things rather than use a mail client that is designed for the task I can't imagine.

Suppose I need to send email in classical Greek or Thai using Eudora, which doesn't allow real Unicode input. I write the message in BBEdit ot TextEdit, then run a script (= type a keystroke) and send Apple events to Eudora to get the message as utf-8, create a message containing this and send it as "...charset=utf8". If I want to send it using Postfix, no problem. It can all be done with a single script that can offer whatever options you please.

JD