I guess I can live with the project window, once I changed the broken
keyboard shortcut for "Show/Hide Files", but it has two disadvantages
for me.

1. The title bar of the window extends to the width if the file list
when it is shown. The document drawer did not have that: there was a
space above it where you could see behind the BBEdit window to (in my
case) the Terminal application, which lived behind my BBEdit window --
except for this corner -- yet was easily available in a standard place
to click it to the front when I was done editing and ready to run.

2. When a file is in a project window and I want to open it in new or
additional window, it open up waaaaay too wide, a width unrelated to
either (a) the width of the project window, or (b) the soft wrap to 79
chars that I have set up by default.

Amos