Hi,

all so often I find myself wanting to make a rectangular selection in order to
apply the mighty "Preffix/Suffix Lines" command to it. And all that often I
find myself forced to leave the keyboard reaching for that mouse thing - which
disrupts my workflow like having to go to another room ... ok, I might be
exaggerating a little but I'd really love to have a way to do it with keyboard
only (all the other cool editors have it*, please Ma, can I have it too?*)

I'd even stumble through a Applescript solution to make this happen. A lot of
script examples in this list demonstrate how one can work with selections using
the characterOffset property in Applescript. I thought, maybe there is a way to
loop through all lines of a given selection subtracting the amount of
characters left from the beginning of the original selection from each line
(and the amount right from the end of the selection likewise). But apparently
there seems to be no way to access or modify rectangular selections with
BBEdit's current Applescript dictionary.

Even after a decade of Mac usage Applescript still sounds like kisuaheli to me,
so I might (hopefully) be missing something. So my two questions are:

Am I right, that this is not possible via Applescript?

Is anybody else yearning for such a feature and has found a working solution
(maybe something involving a third party tool like Keyboard Maestro)?

Thanks for your attention,
Roland

* Almost all editors I'm aware off do this by providing two states of
selection. This means you can turn on "rectangular selection mode" somehow and
make your selection as you normally do. The difference is, that in "rectangular
mode" the positions of the start and end points of your selection define the
left and right borders of your total "selection area" while in "normal" mode
all lines lying between start and end selection get completely selected.