Govinda <govinda.webdnat...@gmail.com> squawked out on Sunday
14-Aug-2011@14:52:35
> WHY does it not work to
> just be in the right directory and type the name of a command

Unix will only execute files that are either in the predefined path or are
specified by a full path name. This is a security measure.

For example, if you have the command ‘ls’ to list a directory and someone
writes an executable named ‘ls’ than instead deletes the current directory the
could be bad.

So, you define a list of folders (called the PATH) that contain all the
programs that you generally want to run.

For example, my PATH differs from the default in that I added $HOME/bin to the
end of it so that the scripts that I write are run-able without my typing
~/bin/myscript, I can just type myscript instead. Since I added it at the END,
nothing in my ~/bin/ will override a ‘real’ command in on of the default
directories. I would still have to type ~/bin/myscript (or ./myscript if I was
already in ~/bin/) to execute my own ls command.

If you are interested in learning about the command line there is a very good
series named "in a Nutshell", and of these, Unix in a nutshell is a great book.
There is an OS X specific version, but it is for Tiger.

<http://oreilly.com/store/series/nutshells.html>

I still have my 1st edition Unix in a Nutshell and it is one of the few print
books I still reference. I really should buy the Ebook 4th Edition, I just
haven’t gotten around to it yet.

--
Bowling scores are way up, minigolf scores are way down, and we have
more excellent waterslides than any other planet we communicate with