On Aug 20, 2011, at 08:03, Verdon Vaillancourt wrote:
> I am writing a tiny applescript, that I invoke with a clipping, to do a
> search/replace on a string and return the string. I'm mostly there.

Hey Verdon,

Any special reason you're activating this with a clipping rather simply putting
your script in the script menu?

When you 'return chords' you're getting back something similar to:

 characters 2 thru 42 of text document 1 of application "BBEdit"

BBEdit then want to use this to replace the text you've already replaced with
the script, but the data types don't match up.

Why not just use a script in the first place?

tell application "BBEdit"
  tell selection of front text window
    replace "(\\w+)" using ¬
      "[\\1]" options {search mode:grep, case sensitive:false}
  end tell
end tell

--
Best Regards,