I have a lot of HTML files that have do-nothing <span> blocks in them.
I'd like to select all the text -- including the opening and closing
tags -- and then strip HTML. Actually I'd like to just strip the
opening and closing span tags, and leave what's inside them alone.

The problem I'm running into is that Balance Tags will select the
innner HTML but not the span tags themselves. So if I put the cursor
somewhere on or in "<span>some normal text here</span>" and did a Cmd-
B, the "some normal text here" would be selected, but the opening
"<span>" and closing "</span>" would not be selected.

I cannot see any way to get the tags that delimit the selected text to
be selected as well.

Any ideas?

NOTE: what I really want to do is just click on the opening <span> tag
and have a command that will remove that tag (along with it's closing
tag) ... leaving the inner text alone.