Alright, all that makes sense but it doesn't seem to be working. Here's what
I've got:

1. A folder called "tags_test" on my desktop.
2. the files "tags" and "tags_test.md" within that folder.

The contents of the "tags" file (with tab separators, as you said):

!_TAG_FILE_FORMAT 2 /extended format; --format=1 will not append ;" to
lines/
!_TAG_FILE_SORTED 1 /0=unsorted, 1=sorted, 2=foldcase/

ctags_test *.md 0
markdown_complete *.md 0

In the "tags_test.md" document (set to Markdown lang) I'm testing
compilations by typing "cta". So far no completions are available.I tried
restarting BBEdit to no avail.

Thanks again for all your help.