neil.goo...@faiman.org (Neil Faiman) wrote on  10/23/11  3:41 AM

On Oct 23, 2011, at 4:45 AM, Ken Lanxner wrote:

Hi.

How do I write a pattern to match a string that must contain 1 or more
tabs and may also contain 1 or more spaces --- in any order.

[ ]*\t[ /t]*

A mandatory tab, optionally preceded by a string of spaces, and optionally followed by a string of spaces and/or tabs.

Regards,

Neil Faiman

Thanks for your help, Neil. That works to a point but it seems to match inconsistently. It doesn't grab longer strings such as space tab space tab space tab tab. And it even matched a single space.

Here is a typical line. I am hoping the spaces and tabs will remain intact when sending via Mailsmith.

September 24, 2009 NE Douglas 3271-0000-11 2008/09 4.01% 9/24/09 $1,522.92 $0.00 $1,522.92 $0.00 $1,522.92 $0.00 $1,522.92 128.82 759

OK. Now I am seeing additional spacing in BBEdit with no character designation. For example, there is space showing between "NE" and "Douglas" in BBEdit -- and there needs to be -- but when I show invisibles and show spaces, no character represents that space. Does that make sense? :-)

These lines are copied from an Excel document. Maybe I can export them in a way that will be easier for me to work with.

Thanks again.

Ken