Jane,

You _do_ realize that you are asking about BBEdit on a list where we're nearly
ALL BBEdit fanatics? It's like going to a Superbowl game and asking if anyone
likes being a football fan.

Since you say you are just starting out and doing your coding by hand, you
might want to try out BBEdit's free Text
Wrangler<http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/>. It doesn't do
everything that BBEdit does now but does most of what BBEdit did 5-1/2 versions
ago.

You can use BBEdit with a 30-day trial but I think it would be difficult for
someone just starting out to really get deep into the power of BBEdit in 30
days. Then too, with the new pricing, the full BBEdit is very affordable.

Should you buy it? That would be up to you.
Would it be better? Definitely though there are other editors out there. (Don't
ask me what they are--remember the football fan?)

There is a learning curve. Just released is "Take Control" book for BBEdit
<http://www.barebones.com/support/resources/bookshelf.html#TCoBB> which seem
like it would help.

Best wishes in your writing.
Bucky