When you're doing the set to "" toward the end, you have it go from start
through (start + end), which goes beyond the end of the document, which
will cause an error. Try this for those 3 lines:

    set theStart to selection's characterOffset
    set theEnd to characterOffset of last character of text 1 of text
document 1
    set (characters theStart thru theEnd of text document 1) to ""

-Kendall