(Hmm, third attempt to post this... now from mail. why are my posts
automatically deleted or directed to devnull??)

On Tuesday, July 31, 2012 9:43:15 PM UTC+2, Rich Siegel wrote:

> BBEdit's ability to edit HTML files, or any other type of
> file, does not depend on Apache or any other web service.
> "Preview in BBEdit" works without Apache or any other web
> service. If you wish, you *can* run previews through a local web
> server, and of course you'll need Apache (web sharing) running
> on your machine.

That's "interesting". If I use BBEdit 9.6 or 10.1 and edit an shtml page,
there will be NO live preview at all if I turn off Web Sharing!? And it was
live preview I was talking about!

In addition, I quote from the User Guide (for v9.6) that claims the
opposite of what you wrote:

> In addition to static previews, BBEdit also supports live local previewing
> of web pages through the web server built into Mac OS X. This capability
> enables you to easily preview pages which are built using server-side
> technologies, for example, DHTML or PHP.
> To enable live previewing for a defined web site project, you must turn on
> the Use Local Preview Server option and enter an appropriate Site Path on
> Server in the HTML Web Sites preference panel (see page 221). *You must
> also turn on the “Personal Web Sharing” option in the Sharing panel of the
> System Preferences to start the built-in web server*.

To me, it appears pretty obvious that some kind of "local web server
functionality" must be present to have "live preview" of  web pages that
use both css and server side includes. One ways was using Apples stuff in
Lion and earlier, another is MAMP.

As for:

> I think that is a perfectly valid complaint, but one that should
> be directed in Apple's direction

That has already been done, but I am pretty certain that it will have no
effect. (See e.g http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5230.) So, the issue is
definitely a problem for BBEdit and you need to relate to it in some way.
As a user, I can use BBEdit, or I can use other packages to create web
pages. If using BBEdit becomes to cumbersome, it is not exactly a bonus
point for BBEdit.

/h