On 19 feb. 2013, at 02:22, Chip G. <n1mie.c...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Which is pretty much what I managed to determine. The path I get with "which
> python3.2" is /sw/bin/python3.2 and I put that after a #! and it works.
>
> But what's the best way to get which python3 to work and not break when the
> software is upgraded?

If which python3.2 returns a result, then a link should be available that
points python3 to python3.2. If it isn't, then I would say that whatever system
you used to install python is broken (/sw/bin looks a lot like Fink). Complain
to Fink.

The /usr/bin/env program was invented just for this reason. It will search the
$PATH for a binary of the given name, start it, and pass the script to it for
execution.

Try:

#!/usr/bin/env python3.2

as the first line of your script. Now if the installers behaved properly, then
python3 would exist, and point to the actual binary. That would then be your
upgrade path.

Best,

Maarten