I have been making generous use of the drop-down documents list in the
navigation bar, which is especially handy when you know that the keyboard
shortcut is ⌃⌥F (though I have remapped it to ⌃⌥\ to make it easier to chord).
I will typically keep the side bar closed (⌘0) now, only opening it to access
the project's file listing,mat which point the current and recent documents
panes become a hindrance.