I have noticed this as well, and it's quite annoying. The lag became even
more apparent after I started using a new rMBP with an SSD. Everything is
usually really fast, but when loading an auto-complete menu, it will beach
ball for a few seconds. It appears to happen when BBEdit is looking for
existing words in the document to use for autocomplete.

My only advice is to try it with auto-complete turned off.