I do this more times a day than I can count.

Select text to replace, Cmd-E to use selection for find. Edit the text and
re-select it. Cmd-Opt-E to use selection for replace. And then Cmd-G for find
next to see if there's another instance in the document. I'll do this pretty
much any time I'm cleaning up or refactoring code just to double-check whether
the change I'm making now needs to be repeated elsewhere in the current file. I
then use Cmd-Opt-F for replace and find next. If there are a lot I use
Cmd-Opt-= to simply do the replace all. And sometimes Cmd-Shift-F to switch
over to multi-file mode to search the entire code base for the same change.
There might be a custom menu shortcut in there (or at least a throwback to an
older menu shortcut) and it's all so much muscle memory now.

 [fletcher]