I don't see any obvious reason why it shouldn't be working. My example
document looks like yours and I can't reproduce any errors. You might want
to compare what you have with what I originally posted to make sure the
script wasn't modified in any other ways while copying and pasting,
especially the regular expression parts.

The block of code that's commented with "-- Define a tab ..." is not being
used in the script so you can remove it. There's 3 spots that use the
"searching" piece and can't tell which one was causing the error. You can
try placing log statements around each one to see when it hits an error.