> On Jun 10, 2016, at 6:21 AM, Greg Reyna <greyn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Is there a way to learn the creation date of an unsaved, "untitled text" file?

Hello Greg. I read your question with curiosity, being as I had never
considered this before. In fact, at first I thought it might be a joke, until I
actually opened the message in Mail.app and read the entire thing.

My personal assumption would be that until a BBEdit text doc -- or any file for
that matter -- is actually saved to the hard drive, it cannot have a creation
date, because it is only being stored in memory.

Led by my curiosity, I created a brand new text doc, typed some nonsense in it,
and then looked at the status bar that is located at the bottom of its window.

Sure enough, it simply says "(never saved)", whereas with a saved document, it
would actually show when it was last saved.

Next, I looked under BBEdit's various menus. The only thing there is the "Get
Info" option under the "View" menu, which you can obviously do with a
"command-i" as well.

But, as you may have already determined yourself, opening the Get Info window
does not reveal the creation date, perhaps confirming that until a file is
actually saved to your hard drive, it cannot have a creation date.

Perhaps someone -- Rich? Patrick? -- with more experience than I can offer a
more satisfying response.