On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 7:03 PM, @lbutlr <krem...@kreme.com> wrote:

> Oh, yes, that makes sense in the cases that I am using BBEdit to edit the
> files, but it doesn’t account for the times I am sshed in to the machine. I
> guess I was thinking of something a bit lower-level that would simply do the
> versioning and such behind the scenes regardless of the tool used to edit the
> files.

Git is a source code revision control system. Just like CVS,
Subversion, Mercurial, Perforce, and so on, it won't do things
"automatically" behind the scenes. You most absolutely can use it to
version /etc and other directories, but you're still going to have to
stage your changes and make each commit. It would be editor-agnostic
as you're desiring, but it won't be transparent/hands off.

And it wouldn't be terribly valuable to version an area hands-off like
that - you'd not have any metadata giving you context to your changes.
The commit message you create for each commit give you context so you
can understand why you made a particular change.

If all you want is an automated backup, Timemachine, a cron-job'd
rsync or other backup solution could be made to do that. And you could
set them up to keep periodic snapshots (ie "versions").

Git is an excellent system for managing a directory of textual config
files like /etc. But you need to understand what the tool does and how
it works before embarking on such a use.

- Steve