On 19 Oct 2017, at 15:17, DavidWeinberger wrote:

It's with a bit of hesitation I add my opinions to this thread. First of all, I firmly believe that the choice of writing tools is very personal - for example I love my Lamy 2000 fountain pen, not to mention my multi colored Pilot G-Tec-C4, add paper of good quality and I'm quite happy.

But it's not practical for me to use these tool all the time, I need to produce electronic documents and here my tools of choice are BBEdit and Ulysses. I haven't used Word or any other word processor for the last 25 years (except for a few times when I've been forced to). And as you might guess I've been using some kind of markup language, a few examples are roff/nroff/groff/troff, latex, tex, markdown, html and a few more.

All of these have (had) their uses but the format that have had the biggest effect for me is markdown. Today, I write web pages, comments to students, course documents, instruction, slides, documentations, etc all in markdown or some dialect of it. However, if I'm writing something that is going to be printed I'm using LaTeX - I actually was thinking about this earlier this week when I was writing something that is going to be printed. I found it very cumbersome to write latex and when I get some spare time I'm going to invest that time trying to find the best way to write in markdown but convert to latex so I can get the formatting right (I know about some tools but I have some specific requirements that I need to investigate).

But back to the subject, for me and for what I'm doing markdown (I'm including the various dialects I use) is a very flexible, powerful way of marking up text so I can use it in various ways. My documents usually include headlines, lists, images, links to various online resources, source code, etc. If I were to write a book I wouldn't hesitate to use markdown.

My current tools to achieve this is BBEdit, Ulysses, Marked, Deckset and Multimarkdown.

But as I said above, the choice of writing tools is very personal and also depends on factors like what is being written, external requirements, etc.

= jem

--
This is the BBEdit Talk public discussion group. If you have a feature request or would like to report a problem, please email