I have a lift desk on rollers and due to my situation have to move it
around so the monitors are closer and further, and it's a real hassle to
change the font size for the document I'm looking at, particularly XML.

The type is identified in the pulldown menu on the bottom bar as XML, but
if I go to languages I can't add an XML specific default - it isn't in the
list above YAML as it is in the bottom bar menu so I don't know how to
change the size.

And besides all of that, why do I have to change the default size just to
make a momentary change in the font size?

More and more modern tools allow Command + or Command - to adjust the font
size since it's of such ubiquitous utility.