Update: after 5+ weeks, this problem still occurs daily, and there is also
an error when I try to quit BBEdit.

I am accustomed to leaving BBEdit open, as I use it all the time.

   1. At least once a day, I go to BBEdit and find the text has
   disappeared.
   2. At that point I CMD-q to quit, and receive an error pop-up saying
   "This operation couldn't be completed, because an error occurred. Directory
   not found (macOS error code: -120)." It offers me two options: "Copy to
   Clipboard" or "OK." If I click OK, it just appears again. So I have to
   force-quit BBEdit.
   3. I go into Terminal and type the magic incantation "atsutil server
   -shutdown"
   4. I restart BBEdit and resume work.

BareBones tech support was adamant that this is a High Sierra problem, not
a BBEdit problem. And this is not my only problem with High Sierra. But
this is really annoying and breaks up what should be a productive workflow.
Is there nothing that can be done to work around the problem? I have
considered going back to Sierra but it would be a huge job and is probably
not the best long-term solution.

I would love to hear any suggestions from BareBones or from other users.

Thanks,
Donna