Dear Christopher (or anybody who can help),

I did this in the Terminal

        Tibors-MacBook-Pro:~ tpali$ cd Library/
        Tibors-MacBook-Pro:Library tpali$ cd Preferences
        Tibors-MacBook-Pro:Preferences tpali$ defaults write
com.barebones.bbedit UseResourceForkForDocumentState -bool YES
        Tibors-MacBook-Pro:~ tpali$

on two Macs that are synced with iCloud (including the BBEdit documents
concerned). The com.barebones.bbedit.plist file has this entry

        <key>UseResourceForkForDocumentState</key>
        <true/>

However, the markers are different (not syncing) in the same document on the
two computers. Adding, changing, deleting markers in one computer is not
replicated in the other.
Maybe the markers do not belong anymore to the DocumentState?
I am on Mac OSX 10.13.6 and BBEdit 12.5.2

Best regards,

Tibor