why do we care about word boundaries? and, marek did provide a
bbedit-specific solution above... which is the one i use all the time.

search for:

   xx+ (where the x's are spaces... meaning 'find two or more spaces')

replace with:

   x (a single space)

i suppose you could just search for 'one or more spaces' but we don't care
about single spaces so why bother finding them? we only care about two or
more spaces....

On Monday, January 14, 2019 at 9:05:13 AM UTC-8, Lewis Butler wrote:

> On 12 Jan 2019, at 18:32, Dj <future...@gmail.com <javascript:>> wrote:
> > I'm trying to replace spaces between words so a sentence like this:
> >
> > "this     line has      really   messed      up        spacing”
>
> It doesn’t look to me like this was actually answered. All the replace
> multiple space will replace ALL multiple spaces, not simply those between
> words.
>

> Grep search for: \> +\<
> Replace with: “ “ # no quotes
>
> Should do it. No need to involve perl at all.
>
> (The pattern \> matches the “end of word boundary” and \< matches the
> “start of word boundary”.)
>
> --
> 'Can't argue with the truth, sir.' 'In my experience, Vimes, you can
> argue with anything.’

feature request or need technical support, please email
Follow @bbedit on Twitter: <https://www.twitter.com/bbedit>