On 02/12/2019, at 16:26, @lbutlr <krem...@kreme.com <mailto:krem...@kreme.com>>
wrote:
> On 12 Feb 2019, at 06:53, Rich Siegel <sie...@barebones.com
> <mailto:sie...@barebones.com>> wrote:
>> 'm guessing it was "(?m)\s+"
>
> That would make SLIGHTLY more sense, but it is definitely (m?)\s+ (I’ve
> checked it a dozen times)

Hey Lewis,

That has to be a typo on your friend's part.  There's no sense in adding a
capture for an optional literal 'm' – it adds nothing and can mangle words
ending in 'm'.

This is test
 Maximum Text
With some spaces

ThisistestMaximuTextWithsomespaces

I've no idea why the person in question might feel the need to turn ON
multiline.  (I'd guess habit.)

Corrected:

search: (?m)\s+

Turning OFF multiline works just the same:

search: (?-m)\s+

#!/usr/bin/env perl -sw
while (<>) {
    s!\s+!!g;
    print;
}

All produce your compressed string:

ThisistestTextWithsomespaces

> What I don’t get is that in the sample
>
> <<END
> This is test
>  Text
> With some spaces
> END
>
> The result is
>
> ThisistestTextWithsomespaces
>
> Which is to say that it removes all the white space. All at once. In one
> action.

Were you were wanting to remove horizontal whitespace only?

Find: \h+
Repl: null

Vertical whitespace can be isolated with “\v”.

--
Best Regards,
Chris

feature request or need technical support, please email
Follow @bbedit on Twitter: <https://www.twitter.com/bbedit>