I do this sort of thing fairly often updating old syntax or cloning a site. I
like to see every replacement unless I'm doing something really trivial.

If there is something you find yourself replacing often you can add an
identifier so you can do a global search/replace without as much worry. For
example, replacing "Version: 1.0.0" is a lot less likely to match something
unwittingly compared to simply replacing "1.0.0".

For me the multi-file search has just become muscle memory. I think I've held
onto an old shortcut so Cmd-Opt-F is bound to Replace and Find Again in BBEdit
prefs. With that I can work everything from the keyboard and it's pretty fast.
Cmd-W closes the current window, restoring the results, then down arrow and
return open the next file. At the end I usually do one more search and scan the
exceptions.

That said, it would be cool if the context menu in the search/replace results
dialog box had a "replace" command. You can send feature requests to
supp...@barebones.com.

[fletcher]