Hey David,

As Sam just mentioned, special preference commands are usually executed on the command line (i.e., in the Terminal for most Mac users).

A few more tips:

1. As I've learned useful expert prefs, I collect them together in a set of shell worksheets, one sheet each for BBEdit, other apps, and the OS itself. Then when I want to evoke a specific one, I only select that line of the worksheet, and hit Enter or my current key-combo to execute.

Here's an entry on my BBEdit Prefs worksheet:
# Include delimiters in balance command
defaults write com.barebones.bbedit BalanceIncludesDelimiters -bool YES defaults write com.barebones.bbedit BalanceIncludesDelimiters -bool NO
defaults read com.barebones.bbedit BalanceIncludesDelimiters

Of these three, use only one at a time, to set, un-set, or read out the setting.

2. That latter is the answer to one of your questions. If you use the command 'read' instead of 'write', the current setting for that default pref will print out.

So if I select and hit Enter to execute the third command above
   defaults read com.barebones.bbedit BalanceIncludesDelimiters
the output is 0 (zero) because I previously executed the pref with -bool NO. That works in the Terminal, too, of course.

3. Some commands require root permissions, so on the Terminal you'd precede the pref command with 'sudo'

# Make finder show User's Library directory
sudo chflags nohidden ~/Library

But worksheets aren't interactive, so when you get prompted for your password, you can't enter it and continue. The two solutions I've used: * simply copy the pref command from the worksheet collection and paste it in into a Terminal and press Enter;

* Take the more complex step of setting oneself (admin Mac user) as a "sudoer" who can use sudo without having to enter their password each time. This is a bit complicated, and I'm not going to put the instructions here. (Ask and I will.)

HTH