When I do something like this I usually get rid of the returns by searching for
"\n" or "\r" and replacing it with garbage text like asdf. Then I would search
for "[" and replace it with "\n[". Then sort. Then replace "asdf" with "\r".
You'll be back to where you started but everything will be sorted.

James Reynolds
Sr Systems Administrator
School of Biological Sciences
The University of Utah