I have multiple instances of this sample data (below) in which each
observation has at least three lines and is separated by a blank line. In
each observation, the first line contains a name, the second a time, and
then there is one or more lines of text*:*

*SAMPLE DATA*
Peter Frost
25:34
yes

Elle Claus
30:05
Third line

Elle Claus
30:25
Third line
Fourth line

Cary Clark
31:21
done
________________
First, I would like the data organized so that each observation's lines are
combined and separated by two dashes:

*SAMPLE COMBINED DATA*
Peter Frost -- 25:34 -- yes
Elle Claus -- 30:05 -- Third line
Elle Claus -- 30:25 -- Third line -- Fourth line
Cary Clark -- 31:21 -- done
________________
Then, I would like a count of the observations by name:

*SAMPLE COUNTED DATA*
Peter Frost 1
Elle Claus 2
Cary Clark 1

I am familiar with using Unix command solutions.

Thanks,
Howard

--
This is the BBEdit Talk public discussion group. If you have a feature request
or need technical support, please email "supp...@barebones.com" rather than