On Sep 30, 2022, at 12:38 AM, Darren Duncan <dar...@darrenduncan.net> wrote:

> Modern HTML must follow all the XML rules, which is that tags in pairs look
> there is whitespace before a "/" is a stylistic choice, but the "/" MUST be
> present in standalone tags.  Having "<br>" by itself is wrong, full stop. --
> Darren Duncan

According to the HTML5 standard at WHATWG, https://html.spec.whatwg.org/
<https://html.spec.whatwg.org/>, dated 28 September 2022, in Section 1.8, HTML
vs XML syntax (non-normative):
> There are various concrete syntaxes that can be used to transmit resources
> that use this abstract language, two of which are defined in this
> specification.
>
> The first such concrete syntax is the HTML syntax. This is the format
> suggested for most authors. It is compatible with most legacy web browsers.
> If a document is transmitted with the text/html
> <https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/iana.html#text/html> MIME type
> <https://mimesniff.spec.whatwg.org/#mime-type>, then it will be processed as
> an HTML document by web browsers. This specification defines the latest HTML
> syntax, known simply as "HTML".
>
> The second concrete syntax is XML. When a document is transmitted with an XML
> MIME type <https://mimesniff.spec.whatwg.org/#xml-mime-type>, such as
> application/xhtml+xml
> <https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/iana.html#application/xhtml+xml>,
> then it is treated as an XML document by web browsers, to be parsed by an XML
> processor. Authors are reminded that the processing for XML and HTML differs;
> in particular, even minor syntax errors will prevent a document labeled as
> XML from being rendered fully, whereas they would be ignored in the HTML
> syntax.

See also my previous reply to Omar KN, quoting from the same standard to the
effect that the terminal slash in void element tags is optional.

I believe that the only HTML version that required consistency with XML syntax
was XHTML, which is scarcely a modern HTML at this point.

Regards,
Neil Faiman

--
This is the BBEdit Talk public discussion group. If you have a feature request
or need technical support, please email "supp...@barebones.com" rather than