- notes project description
- I have a number of notes journals, some up to 100k words, written over
some 30 years. Multiple topics in each file. My project is to extract and
compile all meaningful notes from these journals and split them out by
topic into separate files. Everything will be plain text, at least
initially (I'll have to sanitize some Word files). My thought is to use
BBEdit and Apple Scripts to accomplish this, as it's the only thing I've
found that shows any promise at all. If anyone has a better idea I'm
listening.
- I would prep the notes journal files into delimited text blocks as seen
below. Following that is my pseudo code attempt at a script. I'm a beginner
with Apple Scripts and with BBEdit. I am not a coder but willing to learn
enough scripting, regex, etc to do this. Help is appreciated. Let me know
if I can be clearer.
- If this works I'm sure I'll find other things to automate for this or
other projects.
-----
- proposed form for 'prepped source file' (notes journal)
- misc (unwanted) text
- filename1 (target file for the following clip)
- ;; (beginning delimiter)
- heading, date
- text body
- ;; (end delimiter)
- misc (unwanted) text
- filename2
- ;;
- heading, date
- text body
- ;;
- misc text
- etc ... to end of file
-----
- proposed (pseudo code) script
- find 1st filename
- index that file to front
- select & copy delimited text (;; text ;;)
- append selection to target file
- find next filename in source file & repeat
- no more filenames?
- done.
-----
- maybe only an end delimiter is needed, if filename may serve as beginning
delimiter?
- If anyone offers a script, please translate it for me (I'm a dummy)
- Or if there's a better way...
Thanks,  Andy

--
This is the BBEdit Talk public discussion group. If you have a feature request
or need technical support, please email "supp...@barebones.com" rather than