On Saturday 13 January 2007 06:20, Martin Langer wrote:
>On Sat, Jan 13, 2007 at 02:41:06AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

>Your bcm43xx driver wants to have an old v3 firmware. And if you feed
>it with newer v4 firmware you will get such a reaction.

So in this respect, ndiswrapper is ahead of bcm43xx then as it had no
problem like this.  I have it connecting now with ndiswrapper loaded, but
while ifconfig says the interface is up, apparently routes aren't being
properly set to that interface.  And I was too tired to investigate
further, still am in fact.

Could the low tx power Larry alluded to also be a bcm43xx problem?

Can you relate what was added in v4, and in v5?

>> That's a bit confusing since the chip, from the way I'm reading that
>> message, is revision 13f, and in comparing md5sums, what I have is
>> either a miss-match from that chart (its late, the url escapes me
>> ATM), the only matching md5sum is from a microcode "11" in that chart,
>> but the length of the file is wrong by 200 bytes or so.  Those you see
>> above were extracted
>>
>> >from the installed and working flawlessly (much to my chagrin)
>> > Windows XP
>>
>> that came on that lappy and which I haven't recovered the disk space I
>> left it. (yet)
>
>The revision numbers (0x13f, 0x127) are not any chip revisions. These
>are microcode revisions and they are defined in the firmware.
>
>The md5sums which do not match was a bug in the old 004 version of
>fwcutter.

I see.

>The extraction parameters for some v4 bcmwl5.sys driver files
>(IIRC, it was 4.10.40.0 and 4.10.40.1) were wrong. But this was fixed in
>fwcutter release 005.

The rpms apparently do not maintain that fine a grain to the version
numbers, all I get for the query --version is 004

And this is available as an rpm for FC5?  Where?  I have extras and
updates-testing enabled in yum, but didn't see a new bcm43xx-fwcutter
yesterday, nor do I now.

Thanks Martin.

--
Cheers, Gene