Tomas Martišius wrote:
> Larry Finger wrote:
>> The firmware only does a small part of the operation - the driver does
>> the rest.
> I think'ed firmware does a lot of more....
>>  The writers of the
>> Windows driver had the cooperation of the hardware designers and knew
>> exactly how the chip would
>> respond to a given set of operations. We have had to reverse-engineer
>> the code and try to emulate
>> their stuff. Obviously, we don't have it right yet. Considering that
>> 4318's couldn't go above 11M
>> until a few weeks ago, we are making progress.
>>
> Yes, I know all this story.

Your question didn't make it seem that you really understood.

> One more question. How about such projects as openwrt or dd-wrt?
> As I know - on these at least Linksys devices broadcom wireless chipset
> is also used.
> I don't know exact version of it, but if linux kernel works on this
> device - which driver is used? Your's or some other?
> If your's - they somehow forced it to work in "Master" mode?

AFAIK, the openWRT project uses pre-compiled binary drivers for the bcm43xx
device from the Linksys
GPL'd source distribution, which is also the piece of code that was decompiled
in our
reverse-engineering step. We could use it as well, but we would be limited to
2.4 kernels, have to
run MIPS hardware, and would have tainted kernels.

From what I read, the openWRT project is very interested in the mac80211 driver
and hopes to use it
to replace their current version.

Larry