On 7/5/07, Robert Easter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thanks, man-  Just after I decided to make a display of my native
> asininity the thing came back on, but I am keeping this letter as a
> first try for next time it craps out.
>
> Brennan Ashton wrote:
> >
> > First there is a transmit power problem that has been hard to fix
> > (correct me if i have misunderstood some of the other emails that flow
> > though here) this is going to make connecting to some networks very
> > flaky if not impossible when you are father away.
> I guess that would explain the light-related problem, especially if it's
> a power indicator and not a tx/rx detector...

I would guess that the like is a link tx/rx indicator. There is
usually a light that tells you if the wireless is turned on.

> > As for the ability to connect sometimes and not others, it is
> > something called i need to use the new kernel.
> He pulled in the latest kernel last week off kernel.org, so I would at

I wonder if he got 2.6.21.4 or 2.6.22.rc7 there is a big difference.
run uname -a
that will tell us

> least hope it will be top kernel for a while before the next F7 build
> comes out, & even then there's at least the hope that the new one will
> adapt... (No?)
> > Or use rmmod bcm43xx a
> > lot.
> I'll have to check that out & see what it is.

it is a command.

> > If you are using a distros kernel, it is very likely that it
> > won't work, so i direct your attention toward www.kernel.org.  At the
> > time that my system was exhibiting that behavior, i applied this patch
> > and it went away
> > https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/bcm43xx-dev/2007-February/003819.html
> I will hang on to that link- thanx!

wont work on the newer kernels

> > .  With the newer kernels, it should not be a problem. I still have
> > problems when i am to far away from my AP, but in a reasonable range,
> > it is very functional.
> >
> > a uname -a would be helpful
> > lspci | grep Broadcom
> > dmesg | grep bcm43xx
> What do these mean / do, by the way?

it is a | not a / it is the shift \ looks like a colon, it is known as
a pipe, and allows you to "pipe" the output of one command to another.
Grep is used to search the result for a string (as well as other
things).

> > Also that tidbit about the light was completely useless, it is
> > hardware not software (the filament in your ceiling light does not
> > effect whether or not the wall switch opens and closes)
> Yeah, but when the wifi was available again, the light started
> flashing.  When it had quit, so had the light.  Maybe there's a hardware
> issue I need to look into?

doubt it, suggests that it is a link light.

> > If wont use the bcm43xx driver you are not going to find what people
> > say here very useful.
> Well, what else is there?

you said that you were using ndiswrapper you need to use that
opensource driver bcm43xx with a firmware cutter. you will need to
remove the ndiswrapper stuff, extract the firmware and load the
modules (bcm43xx-mac80211).  I believe once you have delt with
ndiswrapper (cant help you there) you need to do somthing like this:

wget http://downloads.openwrt.org/sources/broadcom-wl-4.80.9.2.tar.bz2
tar -xjvf broadcom-wl-4.80.9.2.tar.bz2
bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware/ broadcom-wl-4.80.9.2/kmod/wl_apsta.o
echo 'blacklist bcm43xx' >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist   (not positive
about this)
when you set up ndiswrapper you may have blacklisted bcm43xx-mac80211
if so you need to remove it.
modprobe bcm43xx-mac80211

I think that is all correct.

--
Brennan Ashton
Bellingham, Washington

"The box said, 'Requires Windows 98 or better'. So I installed Linux"