Dru Devore wrote:
> I wrote this group about this card, Broadcom Corporation Dell Wireless
> 1390 WLAN Mini-PCI Card rev 02, a couple of weeks ago and got some
> information from Larry, Thank you Larry.
>
> I have been seeing a lot of messages lately about the b43 and was
> wondering if it would possibly work with this chip. If not what can I do
> to help the support for this card. Also, if anyone knows how to get this
> card to work in any way without locking up the OS I would appreciate
> that information also. I am currently using ndisswrapper and it is
> freezing the whole OS. I need this to work so I can get back off
> windows, vista, on this computer.

That chip is what I use with b43. It does not freeze the computer.

You need to get a mainstream kernel from kernel.org that is 2.6.21, or later.
Those kernels use the
bcm43xx driver. Alternatively, you can get the kernel from John Linville's
wireless-dev git tree and
build b43 for it. You will also need to install the supported firmware for your
driver by
downloading the appropriate version of wl_apstaXXX.o, installing fwcutter, and
extracting the
embedded codes. For bcm43xx, you will need V3 and use bcm43xx-fwcutter. For
b43, you will need V4
and b43-fwcutter. Don't blame us for the complications here. It is Broadcom's
fault.

The archives of the mailing list and the bcm43xx site have a lot of explanation
on how to do this.
Alternatively, go to the forums of your distro.

Larry